Who can apply?
The UWC program is a two-year pre-university diploma program based on the International Baccalaureate (I.B.) syllabus. Students who complete the program successfully will thus graduate with an I.B. diploma.
The UWC is not a university program hence after completing the I.B. students will need to seek University admission either in their home country or in another foreign country. Colleges typically provide University applications counselling for graduating students.
A UWC education is rigorous, academic excellency is usually a major criterion in the selection process, so that students who can take full advantage of the academic and extracurricular opportunities are selected.
Through Global Selection Program (Full Fee paying route)
The UWC Global Selection Programme is designed for those:
- who wish to apply 9-12 months before the beginning of the school year, and
- who are able to pay the full fee for the UWC school or college to which they are successful in applying
- who are looking to attend a specific school or college.
For more information about this program please visit this UWC application information page.
Through National Committee (including full tuition and partial scholarships)
In order to submit an application through the Tanzanian National Committee:
- Applicants must be aged no less than 16 and no more than 18 on the 1st of August of the year they aim to enter a UWC school/college
- Applicants must be Tanzanian citizens or Permanent residents who reside in Tanzania
- Applicants must have completed their Form Four CSEE education or expect to complete IGCSE/GCSE, MYP (Middle Years Programme) in the year they apply for UWC
- Applicants who have previously applied to UWC, either via the Global Selection Programme (GSP) or via a national committee in another country, must provide this information to us at the time of application. Failure to do so will result in immediate cancellation of the application
- Applicants must communicate with their parent(s) of guardian(s) on their intention to apply to the UWC.
- Applicants must be able to physically attend ALL interviews and financial assessments (if selected) in Dar es Salaam. The interviews usually happen around February
Candidates will be shortlisted using the following UWC selection criteria:
i. Intellectual curiosity and motivation - Showing a genuine desire to learn about the world, the capacity to grasp a range of issues, from global problems to local concerns, and the ability to analyze topics thoroughly
ii. Active commitment - The ability to develop, question and confront their own values. To measure their behaviour within family and community against these values, and to act accordingly and responsibly
iii. Social competence - The ability and readiness to make contact with other people, interact respectfully with them, work in a team and achieve solutions. Also, the ability to express themselves appropriately, in different situations and to different people
iv. Resilience, personal responsibility and integrity - The ability to look after themselves physically and emotionally during the challenging and transforming experience that UWC offers. Also, the personal motivation to adhere to UWC’s common moral and ethical principles, a sense of humility and an ability to listen and value the opinion and experience of others
v. Motivation for UWC - Passion and commitment to actively promote UWC’s values